10 Things to know about Mold
Mold can be a very serious and dangerous problem. The first step in preventing and controlling mold is controlling moisture in your home.
Below is some important information that you should know about mold.
- Some possible health effects and symptoms associated with mold exposures include allergic reactions, asthma, and other respiratory complaints.
- It is hard to eliminate all molds and mold spores in the indoor environment; the way to control indoor mold growth is to control moisture.
- If mold is a problem in your home or school, you must clean up the mold and eliminate the source of moisture.
- Fix the source of the water problem or leak to prevent mold growth.
- Reduce indoor humidity (to 30-60%) to decrease mold growth by:
- venting bathrooms, dryers, and other moisture-generating sources to the outside;
- using air conditioners and de-humidifiers;
- increasing ventilation;
- use exhaust fans whenever cooking, dishwashing, and cleaning.
The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) provides a short Mold guide.